Friday, May 10, 2013

Miss California Orientation and The Spring Dance Festival

I realize that I haven't posted in a while! I've been so busy with school, work and prep for Miss California!
I will be graduating Mendocino College in 2 weeks so finals are coming up quickly. Let me fill you in on some of the things I've been up to:
 In April we had Contestant Orientation for Miss California and Miss California's Outstanding Teen contestants. It was a busy busy weekend in Fresno. As our CEO Bob said: "We packed 5 pounds worth of stuff into a 2 pound bag."
 
All the beautiful women who will compete for the title of Miss California

 There was so much for us to do and we had to be up and ready very early! First thing was breakfast and a meeting. Then I moved on to a talent review. I was the second young woman to show off my talent of the day. After that I turned in my music and paperwork then changed into interview wear so I could complete the rest of my day. I attended voice over recording of my talent introduction, a walking workshop, social media workshop, current events with Bob, makeup work shop, a mock interview and recorded a little promo video.


Me, Miss Napa and Miss Solano
Of course it wasn't all work. During our lunch break, we all got together to shoot a silly harlem shake video. We had so much fun together! These young women are truly amazing.
My new Lorna Jane inspirational tank top!

And no pageant weekend would be complete without a formal dinner. I got to enjoy myself with some of the girls from our field! During dinner, we received our Miss California Class T Shirts and some goodies from our newest Miss CA sponsor, Lorna Jane Active Wear! Their motto "Move, Nourish, Believe" goes directly with what we believe in the Miss America Organization.




Miss Merced, Miss Yosemite Valley and I before dinner

Me, Miss Sonoma (Love her!) and her Teen at dinner Saturday night.


Right after dinner, we had little time to change for our rehearsal. We learned all our dance numbers and walking patterns during rehearsals. And let me tell you, it's going to be awesome! Girl Power! When we got out of rehearsals it was late, so that ended my first day at orientation (crazy busy right?).

The next day we were up bright and early again for breakfast and more meetings. Then we were off to more rehearsals until we had to head back to another meeting. It was a long day! Eventually, we had time to take a picture with all the girls from our field. Our field director is Gwen Adkins, so of course we are "Gwen's Girls." 

Our field!
And that concluded my super busy orientation weekend!
A big thank you to Rick Mather (my Teens dad)! He drove us all the way to Fresno and back. I was taken care of very well!

Spring Dance Festival

Last weekend was our spring dance festival. This year, I decided to challenge myself and take an African Dance class with the Lakeport Dance Center. I was so honored to be asked to perform my competition piece for Miss CA at the festival (even though I'm a singer not a dancer). It was sooo much fun to hang out with all the sweet dancers and applying a TON of fake eyelashes! Haha! 
All the dancing has inspired me to try new forms of dance since it's a fun way to exercise and perform! 

Taking a breather outside before our African Dance performance (I know the pants don't match, but they were comfy!) Thanks for the awesome shot Laurie!

My teen Boo Boo (Julie Ann) and I after the show
 I'm so blessed to perform with such kind, intelligent and encouraging people. I was sick all last week with a cold, so of course I was nervous to go on stage. But the encouragement from all the other dancers and instructors was extremely helpful. 

Thank you to Laurie Ann Martin Photography for these amazing pictures!

Laurie Ann Martin Photography

Laurie Ann Martin Photography

Laurie Ann Martin Photography




No comments:

Post a Comment